8 Simple Tips to Save on Motorbike Insurance
Motorcycle insurance varies depending on the size of the engine and a few other factors. Most insurance companies provide motorbike insurance; however, it’s not as common as other policies such as travel, life, car, or home and contents insurance. Often, when purchasing a new Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Harley or any other bike from a dealership, some form of insurance is generally offered. The following tips can help you save on motorbike insurance:
- Shop around for insurance quotes. Contact at least three insurance companies and evaluate their policies carefully. Use the search box at the top of this page to chat with insurance providers now. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s free.
- Consider grouping your motorcycle insurance with other policies. Most insurance providers give package discounts.
- Consider paying your premiums annually. This reduces administration and invoicing costs for the insurer and the savings are usually passed on to the policyholder.
- To reduce your premiums, maintain a good driving history. This includes your automobile record as well. Ask your provider whether they give additional discounts for clean driving records. Don’t speed!
- Consider completing a defensive driving course. This is another great way to get cheaper rates when shopping around.
- Store your motorbike in a safe place, preferably in an enclosed garage or carport. This will reduce the risk of theft. Make sure you bring this to the attention of your insurance provider when obtaining a quote.
- Consider purchasing comprehensive motorcycle insurance as opposed to third party motorbike coverage. In a low speed accident, a motorcycle incurs more serious damage than a car would incur at the same speed. If you are at fault, the damage you cause to the other vehicle is covered; however, you will not be reimbursed for the replacement of your motorbike. Evaluate the pros and cons of cheaper motorbike premiums carefully.
- Consider purchasing additional insurance for the extras. This is recommended if you have purchased chrome covers, saddle bags, or customised parts.