What is Boat Insurance?
Boat insurance is like any other insurance policy. It is a contractual agreement between the insurer and the policy holder. The policy holder pays a premium and the boat insurance company agrees to pay your losses, as defined in your policy. This type of insurance varies depending on the vessel. The different types of boat insurance available in New Zealand are as follows:
- Motor boat – covers the most common 2m – 7m sized boats owned in New Zealand;
- Sailboat or yacht – ranges from your kids’ small sailing dingy right up to a 7m cameraman;
- Fishing boat – various sizes; however, the larger off-shore vessels fall under a commercial contact;
- Commercial boat – large ships used for international, oil or fishing activities;
- Jet ski – fun on the water.